Are you seeking the answer for the question “Does makeup expire?“. Many women believe that their makeup has an expiration date, and will stop using it once it reaches that point.
However, there is no scientific evidence to support this claim. In fact, cosmetics can last for years as long as they are stored properly. Please keep reading to learn more about this topic and how to make your makeup last longer.
What Is The Shelf Life Of This Item If It’s Not Opened?
You can find expiration dates printed on makeup and packaging. These expiration dates are for products that have been opened. Because the expiration date is not stamped on the packaging, it can be difficult to determine when unopened sealed makeup expires.
Most makeup can last up to 2 to 3 years if it is kept in an airtight container.
Creamier creams that are rich in oils or butter (e.g cream concealers, liquid blushes) can turn yellow sooner than creamer products without them. Oils can become rancid. Natural makeup products without strong preservatives can also go bad even if they are sealed.
Preservatives in makeupTrustedSource do eventually break down, even if they are not opened. Therefore, you should not keep the product for longer than three years.
Is It A Suggestion To Change The Expiration Date?
The “Period After Opening” symbol (an open jar marked with a number, and an “M”) on makeup will indicate the time period between when you opened it and when it expires. This indicates the makeup’s shelf-life.
If your makeup is about to expire, it should be thrown away. However, if you do use it after expiration, it may still be good for your health, but it won’t work as well.
Some products, such as eyeliner pencils or lipliner, may have a longer expiration date because they can be sharpened. Make sure to wash your hands after applying makeup, keep your brushes clean, and don’t share them.
When Does Make-Up Expire?
Knowing the expiration date of products makes it easier to determine their shelf life. However, not all makeup products will include one.
They will usually include a PAO symbol (Period after Opened), which indicates how long you must use the product before it expires. These suggested usage times are highly recommended.
Because powder cosmetics are dry formulations with little or no moisture, they will last longer than cream and liquid ones. Below is an overview of the shelf life for each makeup product, starting at the time it was opened.
- Foundations – Cream and liquid foundations can last between 6-12 months after they are opened. Powder foundations last for up to 24 months.
- Concealer – Powder formulations last between 18-24 months and liquid formulations last for 6-12 months.
- Face Powder – Setting powder, finishing powder and highlighters can last between 12 and 24 months.
- Blush – Powder blushes last for at least 24 months. Cream blushes can last for up to 12 months. 24 months is the shelf life / PAO time of RAL blushes.
- The life span of bronzer-powder formulas is 24 months. Cream formulas can last for up to 12 months. The PAO time for RAL’s Sundrop Bronzer is 24 months.
- Primer – Primers last from 6 to 24 months. Primer for face will last approximately 12 months. Some primers can even last up to 24. The average eyeshadow primer lasts 6-12 months. The PAO time for RAL Prime Time Eye Shadow Primer lasts 12 months.
- Eyeshadow – Powder eyeshadow formulations last for between 24-36 months. Although cream eyeshadows won’t last as long, they can last between 6-12 months. RAL eyeshadows last for 24 months.
- Eyeliner – Eyeliner can last from 3 to 24 months. Gel liners can last 6-12 months while liquid eyeliners last for 3-6 months. Pencil eyeliners can be sharpened and remove bacteria every time they are used. The average eyeliner pencil will last 12-24 months. RAL’s eyeliner pencils last 12-24 months.
- Mascara – Mascara is a product that you will want to replace frequently because of the way it is applied to your eyes. Mascaras last for 3 to 6 months. RAL’s The Lash Project Mascara has a PAO of 3-6 Months.
- Lip Balm – Lipbalms can last between 6-12 months. 12 months is the PAO time for RAL’s Rallye Balm.
- Lip Liners – These lip liners, like eyeliner pencils, can last between 12-24 months. The PAO time for RAL lip liner pencils lasts 12 months.
- Lipsticks & Glosses – Lipsticks last for 12 months. Some can last as long as 24 months. Lip glosses can last between 6-12 months. The PAO time for both RAL’s lip glosses and lipsticks is 12 months.
- Setting Spray/Face mists – Most setting sprays or face mists last about 12 months.
You should keep in mind that natural, organic, clean, and organic beauty products, cosmetics, and skin care products may have a shorter shelf-life due to the fact that they might contain less or no preservatives.
It is important to inspect the original packaging labels and pay particular attention to the PAO symbols.
What Can I Do To Prolong The Life Of My Make-Up?
There are a few things you can do to prolong the shelf life of your cosmetic products. Properly storing cosmetics products is the best way to ensure their longevity. You can extend the expiration dates of your makeup by storing it in a dry, cool place.
Make sure to not leave your makeup on the car’s hot seat. It’s hot and promotes bacteria growth. Sometimes it can even be exposed to direct sunlight. Your makeup’s shelf-life will be affected by heat, humidity, and direct sun. If a product has active ingredients, heat can also affect them.
When not in use, keep them closed. Make sure you wash your hands after applying makeup.
These guidelines will help you prolong the life of your makeup, allowing for greater confidence when reaching the expiration dates.
Does Makeup Expire If Unopened?
While we’ve already discussed when cosmetic products that have been opened expire, what about those that are still in their packaging? Everyone wonders if still-in-the package products expire if they aren’t opened. Unopened cosmetics or personal care products have a shelf-life and will expire.
Unopened products will eventually go through the same process of breakdown as an open product. Stocking up on products you don’t plan to use soon is a bad idea. They could end up costing you more money than you think.
Properly storing them can prolong their life, but you should always check the expiration dates before opening them.
Check for expiration dates on products. Most of them will have one. Although there may not be an expiration date for every product, the following guidelines will help you determine how long unopened products can last if stored properly.
You don’t know the length of time a product has been sitting in your home before you buy it. These guidelines are not 100% accurate. For any signs of expiration, always check the makeup you have in backup before opening.
- Liquid Foundation & Cream Foundation – up to 2 years
- Concealer- 2 years.
- Powders (foundation and face powders, blushes, bronzers, eyeshadows, and powder blush) – up to 3 years.
- Lip and Eyeliner Pencils – 2 to 3 Years
- Mascara – 12-18 months
- Lipstick and Lip Gloss – Lasts up to 2 Years
Sometimes it can be difficult to let go of your makeup. It’s better than risking bacterial development, for example. We recommend keeping track of the date and time each product was opened to give you an idea of their age.
What Is The Risk Of Using Expired Makeup?
Wilson says that once you notice signs of separation or a change in texture, the smell shifts to something funky, or the color drastically changes, it is time to throw it out.
Mallon states that once a product has expired, it will likely not function as well as it did before. He also notes that products can change in appearance, texture, and color, as well as look and feel different.
Mallon suggests that you set aside time every month to inspect all products on your bathroom shelves for any changes in appearance, smell, or feel.
How Can You Tell If A Product Is Expired?
Demirovic says that there is usually a number printed on the product. It could read 6,12, 24, or 36. This is the product’s expected shelf life [after it has been opened]. You can throw away any product that has lost its color or smells strange, even if it is not past the expiration date.
The product can age faster due to temperature, humidity, and light.
Products may not perform as they should when it comes to makeup. The Chu explains that lipsticks can sometimes feel a little gummy. Foundations can be a little streaky. It will not work the way you intended.
What Are Some Good Hygiene Practices To Follow When Using And Storing Skincare Products?
Demirovic recommends that you wipe products clean, particularly around the rim, where mold and bacteria can easily grow up.
Which Is The Best Way To Apply Makeup?
It is advised that you avoid double-dipping your products, especially when it comes to your eyes. This will keep bacteria from getting into your eyeshadows and eyeliner. Don’t share your makeup with others.”
It is not unusual to keep the same makeup for many years, even if you use it very little or every time. To avoid skin irritation and infection, it is important to be aware of the makeup expiration dates. Because there are no requirements for how long cosmetics can last, it is wise to throw away makeup and other personal care products that have been unused for more than three years. Restorbio hopes you found this article useful and informative.